Businesses within the Town of Bentley require an annual Business License, with the exception of businesses operated from a property that is registered in the operator’s name, located within the corporate town limits, and property taxes are based on a commercial or industrial assessment.
“Business“ includes business, trade, profession, industry, occupation, employment or calling, and the providing of goods and services.
Businesses requiring a Business License are:
- General Contractors (building, repair, handyman, plumbing, electrical, painting, etc.)
- Resident Businesses (sales, specialty stores, restaurants, taverns, etc.)
- Non-Resident Businesses (all of the above)
- Home Occupations (hair salons & spas, contractors, home party sales, photographers, firewood sales, health & fitness, etc.)
- Hawkers, Peddlers, Door-to-Door Sales (alarm system sales, power and gas energy contract sales, etc.)
- RV and Vehicle Sales
- Other Sales-Based Businesses
Because all home-based businesses or occupations are subject to the requirements set out in the Land Use Bylaw, application for a Development Permit for all Home Occupations is required prior to applying for a Business License. Once the Development Permit has been approved, then the Business License may be approved.
Business owners/operators licensing and requirements can be found under the Business Licensing Bylaw 07/95.