April Newsletter & Council Update
Mar 27, 2014
Welcome to Councillor Cora Knutson - we know you will be an asset to Council and represent the community well.
CANADA DAY CELEBRATIONS –
The Drop-in Centre has graciously agreed to look after the cupcakes and the Curling Club will be donating hot dogs and drinks for the day.
A huge THANK YOU also goes to the following businesses for their monetary donations. Without your funding, we would not be able to have fireworks and other entertainment for the day.
- Cowboy Diner (Piccolo Pizza)
- Timcon Construction
- Crossfire Drilling
- Outlaw Electric
- Servus Credit Union
- LA Courier
- TR Transport Inc.
- Lake Trail Estates
- Lacombe County
- Bentley Minor Hockey
- Hunter Hydrovac
Once again, it goes to show just what an amazing community we live in. When necessary, we pull together to make our events the best!!
RECREATION AND CULTURE BOARD –
A meeting was held on March 18th with a small but enthusiastic turn-out (due to a conflict with Minor Hockey AGM and Registration). This conflict was one of the ideas brought up – a central area where all functions could be posted so that maximum turn-out for each function could be attained.
Many ideas were put forward and will be taken to the next Council meeting. Another meeting will be scheduled within the next couple of months. All rural and urban people are urged to attend this meeting – watch for the dates in an upcoming newsletter.
BENTLEY’S 100TH ANNIVERSARY –
The date has been set – August 6 to 9, 2015!!! A Facebook page “Bentley Centennial 2015” has been set up and you are encouraged to pass the information on to your family and friends so they can save the date to join in.
As events are firmed up, they will be included here and on the Facebook page for your information.
FEBRUARY 25 COUNCIL MEETING –
• Kathy Pike and Brenda Krossa were appointed to the Bentley Community Services Advisory Committee.
• Julian Veuger from Lacombe Enforcement was in attendance to present the 2013 annual report and statistical information to Council.
• S/Sgt. Gary Rhodes from the Sylvan Lake RCMP Detachment was also in attendance to present statistical information to Council and to answer questions.
• Jennifer Johnson and members of the Bentley & Area Recreational Multi-Use Facility committee attended the meeting to introduce themselves and explain their goals and objectives.
• Meeting dates and events for the community were scheduled (see next page for dates).
MARCH 11 COUNCIL MEETING –
• Pam Hansen, School Trustee and Lane Moore, School Principal and staff members made a very interesting presentation on the Bentley School curriculum. Members of the community are encouraged to contact the school and familiarize themselves with all the changes.
• Dale Barr, Executive Director of the Central Alberta Economic Partnership (CAEP) was in attendance to make a presentation to Council. He encouraged us to make use of their resources as the Town is a member of this group. The majority of the services are free or have a very nominal charge.
• Information regarding the re-paving of Highway 12 from the bridge to the east end of Town was received. As plans are firmed up regarding timelines, you will be informed.
• A review of Boards, Committees and Commission appointments was done as some remained open due to the Council vacancy.
• Council reviewed the “Road Forward” report prepared by the Lacombe Regional Fire Services and provided comments and direction.
• Parkland Community Planning Services (PCPS) Planning Services Agreement was renewed. Council also passed a resolution for a Regional Collaboration Program grant application for marketing strategy and the business/strategic plan for Parkland Community Planning Services.
DATES TO REMEMBER
April 5 – Coffee with Council (10:00 to 12:00) in the Drop-in Centre. This is your chance to come and have a one-on-one conversation with your Council and express your concerns or ask any questions.
April 27 – Community Celebration – this is our chance to say “Thank You” to each of you for all you do in our community. Everyone (urban and rural) is invited to a free meal served by your Council and staff. Further details will follow.
Questions on anything here or what is happening in the community? Please contact us – we would rather hear from you to make sure you have the correct information than have you mis-understand something.
Mayor Lynda Haarstad Petten
Deputy Mayor Butch Howard
Councillor Robin Lemay
Councillor Pamela Davey
Councillor Cora Knutson